In the rooms of Schloßstraße 21, the second pharmacy of the city of Bautzen was opened in 1699 by the pharmacist Michael Laube. He received the privilege to do so from the elector Friedrich August, the 1st Elector of Bautzen. The pharmacy was run by Michael Laube until 1710. His son Michael Laube Junior took over the pharmacy and died in 1715. On 14 July Gottlieb Budäus bought the apothecary for 5,600 thalers from the widow. As Budäus Land was a physicist, five temporary clerks administered the pharmacy one after the other until his death.
In 1748 Gottlob Heinrich Budäus bought the castle pharmacy... then the owners Christian Lobegott Kändler (1799-1748), Johann Christian Böhmer (1784 -1799 ) and Carl Gottlob Päßler (1799-1821) followed. The widow of Päßler administered the pharmacy and sold it on 28 October for 6,000 thalers to the son Eduart Päßler. The pharmacy took a good upswing and was sold in 1840 for 40,000 thaler to Frierich Moritz Jässing (1840 – 1867).
With the incorporation of the Burglehns into the urban area, the provision that the pharmacy may not be relocated no longer applies. Already on 11 April, the city pharmacy had waived its privilege to sell to the citizens of Bautzen alone against payment of 1,000 guilders.
Now the castle pharmacy could also be considered for municipal commissions.
Jässing was followed by Emil Gustav Menzer (1867-1887), Arthur Ferdinant Lemme (1887-1897) and Georg Schmalz (1897-1901), who moved the pharmacy to its present home, Goschwitzstraße (Goethe Pharmacy) on 21 July 1903.
The pharmacy on Schloßstaße moved to Goschwitzstraße around 1903 due to increasing space problems. The renaming went hand in hand with the expropriation of the building and took place immediately after the war on instruction, since the name "Schloßapotheke" was a too feudal expression for the new political power and no longer fitted into the new order.
Essential parts of the fixed shop fittings as well as the movable equipment were removed from the old location and reinstalled or reused in the Goschwitzstraße salesroom. The existing stock was secured and stored as part of the demolition measures. The well-preserved pharmacy cupboards in the salesroom, which are also worthy of preservation under monument protection law, were left at their place of installation and packed using dustproof foils.